Tickets will be available Wednesday September 7 here.
According to a recent study by Girls Inc., 74 percent of girls in grades three through 12 said they are under pressure to please everyone and 55 percent believed that girls are expected to speak softly and not cause trouble. It’s a phenomenon known widely as “camouflaging,” the critical years during a teen girl’s life when she hides her true self from not only herself, but her friends and family. As Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie said in We Should All Be Feminists, “we teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller.” So how does one find her voice?
This engaging and transparent panel is an opportunity to learn about how teen girls and women have found their voices, whether it’s through writing or girl-powered organizations, such as Girl Scouts, The I Project, My Favorite Outfit or Polished Pebbles.
Thank you to our host, Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana. Find them on Twitter @GirlScoutsGCNWI and on Instagram @gsgcnwi. Pizza and soda will be provided thanks to our sponsor The Daily Planet, a full service design and production studio. Find them on Twitter @DailyPlanetLTD.
Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 21. Panel will start promptly at 6:00 pm. This is an all ages event, and we encourage young women and men to attend!
• L’Oreal Payton: Media relations manager for Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana. A media and marketing professional, L’Oreal is a former journalist with a passion for empowering young women. Follow on Twitter and Instagram.
• Kelly Fair, Founder at Polished Pebbles
. Follow on Twitter and Instagram.
• Eva Lewis, Girl Scouts Ambassador, Founder of The I Project. Follow on Twitter andInstagram.
• Jacqueline Perlman, Founder and CEO of My Favorite Outfit. Follow on Twitter andInstagram.
• Nancy Wright , CEO of Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana. Follow onTwitter.
• Jeannine Ringland Zwirn, Sales, Marketing and Business Development at Daily Planet Ltd. Follow on Twitter and Instagram.
- Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana - 20 S. Clark St. Suite 200, Chicago, IL 60603 - View Map